Sunday, 1 August 2010

THOUGHTS FROM VALENCIA REGION

I just can´t keep away from the news, and can´t bear the thought of returning from hols to 700 emails, so while my daughter is giggling on Facebook at the internet cafe I try to keep up to date with events at home and scan my emails for anything urgent.

One of my guilty pleasures when away is reading two day-old Daily Mails (yes, I know), but if I hadn´t I wouldn´t know just how much the paper loathes David Cameron. Brilliant! However, it is evident that they vastly prefer the politics of David Davies and Malcolm (´Rifles´) Rifkind, so if ´call me Dave´ is ever winkled out of Downing Street (which Mrs C hates) we will get someone EVEN WORSE.

Meanwhile the expat scene here in Valencia Region and right down the coast is all gloom and doom. Many retirees are suffering the effects of reductions in pension income, their properties are worth little even if they could sell them, Spain´s recession is deep and wide and innumerable major projects are being frozen for up to four years. So the local British Consulate is setting up a helpline and charity for expats who can no longer manage financially. One option is to send them home! Ads are appearing in local English papers offering static caravan homes, not ideal even if they could afford them. So, NOT a good idea; they would anyway be sent back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated and posted unless offensive or spam